[GE users] Cannot make virtual_free consumable?

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Nov 20 13:16:16 GMT 2008

Am 20.11.2008 um 13:51 schrieb Piotr Domagalski:

> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:39 AM, reuti <reuti at staff.uni-
> marburg.de> wrote:
>>> I've attached this complex to my host:
>>>
>>>   szalik at photon:~$ qconf -se photon
>>>   complex_values        virtual_free=4G
>>>
>>>   szalik at photon:~$ qstat -F |grep virtual_free
>>>       hc:virtual_free=2.087G
>>
>> is there anything else running on this machine and consuming memory,
>> although not requested? virtual_free is a guidance for SGE and will
>> not be enforced.
>
> Let me explain my understanding of this consumable complex. I thought
> that I could set virtual_free to 4G or any other higher value just as
> a dummy value.

No. From this initial value the resource request will be subtracted.
It's not a dummy value.

> I wanted the actual reading of load sensor to be used.
> Then, when job requests the memory, the value is subtracted from the
> actual value of virtual_free (2.087G in this case).

As virtual_free is mem+swap, it's often set in the exechost
configuration to reflect the real physical memory installed to avoid
swapping.

>>> Now when I submit a job:
>>>
>>>   qsub -l virtual_free=1G
>>>
>>> The job is runnig but I still get:
>>>
>>>   szalik at photon:~$ qstat -F |grep virtual_free
>>>       hc:virtual_free=2.091G
>>
>> 4G - 1G would 3G, but the lower value of the calculated consumable
>> and the measured load value is taken - both are in effect.
>
> Hmm. I thought that the lower of 2.091G and 4G is used and then the
> subtraction is done so in my case I wanted to get
> hc:virtual_free=1.091G after the job submission.

No.

> So is it at all possible to use load sensor as the initial value of
> virtual_free and treat it as consumable at the same time?

Not to my knowledge.

> I don't want
> to set arbitrary initial value for virtual_free (or my own
> consumable).

Set it to the installed physical memory.

-- Reuti