[GE users] Cannot make virtual_free consumable?

Piotr Domagalski piotr.domagalski at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 16:40:25 GMT 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 2:16 PM, reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
> Am 20.11.2008 um 13:51 schrieb Piotr Domagalski:

>>> is there anything else running on this machine and consuming memory,
>>> although not requested? virtual_free is a guidance for SGE and will
>>> not be enforced.
>>
>> Let me explain my understanding of this consumable complex. I thought
>> that I could set virtual_free to 4G or any other higher value just as
>> a dummy value.
>
> No. From this initial value the resource request will be subtracted.
> It's not a dummy value.

Hmm, reading:

http://wikis.sun.com/display/GridEngine/Configuring+Complex+Resource+Attributes

There's a note saying:

"virtual_free is one of the standard load parameters of the Grid
Engine system. The additional availability of recent memory statistics
is taken into account automatically by the system in the virtual
memory capacity planning. If the load report for free virtual memory
falls below the value obtained by Grid Engine software internal
bookkeeping, the load value is used to avoid memory
over-subscription."

So, if that is true, as far as I understand, even when I set
virtual_memory to 4GB on my host the actual reading of 2.087G should
be used for the internal bookkeeping and I should only be able to run
2 not 4 jobs with "-l vf=1GB".

--
Piotr Domagalski