[GE users] Exclusive execution and AR

Piotr Domagalski piotr.domagalski at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 21:18:39 GMT 2008

Hi all,

I'm thinking of a way to implement the ability to reserve (AR) hosts
for exclusive execution. I assume they're multi-cored so there are N
slots on each of the nodes. I looked at the archives and there were
two threads concerning this subject.

Firstly, I tried the trick with two queues (e.g. all.q with N slots +
exclusive with 1 slot) and subordinate_lists. The problem is that the
parameter to subordinate_lists are jobs slots and they do not include
"reservation slots". Therefore I'm able to have exclusive execution
with this kind of setup, but I'm not able to do AR, i.e. it's possible
to reserve N slots from all.q and 1 slot from exclusive at the same
time.

I then thought of the load_thresholds having "exclusive=0" and
defining "exclusive=1" host consumable + "running" complex which would
contain the number of running jobs and one could do "qrsub -l
running=0 -l exclusive=1". But then I observed that values from load
sensors ("running" in this case) are not considered while making an
AR.

Anyone has other ideas? Or is it not implementable at all? ;-)

--
Piotr Domagalski