[GE users] trivial: EXEC_HOST_LIST format?

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Nov 20 21:59:02 GMT 2008

Am 20.11.2008 um 22:26 schrieb Harry Mangalam:

> Yes, you were right - my editor auto-pads with tabs and I didn't catch
> them but I checked again with an editor that hilites tabs and tried
> tabs both in the context of a single line and multiple lines.

In the installation procedure IFS is redefined to be only the newline
character, although I don't know why. Maybe a compatibility issue
with the original "sh" on some platforms.

You are on which platform and distribution?

> It turns out that inst_sge doesn't mind tabs in a single line, but
> fails when the XXXX_HOST_LIST line contains newlines with or without
> the continuation characters '\'.
>
> Is there a different continuation character that is valid?
>
> This seems like an odd format for a system that handles 1000's of
> nodes.  Do SGE admins really have single lines defining HOST_LISTs
> that span 10s of thousands of characters?

I never used this procedure. I install qmaster and one time execd by
hand, which is replicated to all nodes afterwards. Then I use a bash
loop after the installation adding all hosts as administrative hosts
and adding them to the necessary hostgroups. They are know as
exechosts automatically, when the execd is started the first time on
the nodes.

-- Reuti

BTW: To have a sequential output of the nodes lateron, maybe it would
be helpful to prepad the numbers with zeros to make them all having
the same length.