[GE users] Exclusive execution and AR

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Nov 20 22:20:21 GMT 2008

Am 20.11.2008 um 22:18 schrieb Piotr Domagalski:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm thinking of a way to implement the ability to reserve (AR) hosts
> for exclusive execution. I assume they're multi-cored so there are N
> slots on each of the nodes. I looked at the archives and there were
> two threads concerning this subject.
>
> Firstly, I tried the trick with two queues (e.g. all.q with N slots +
> exclusive with 1 slot) and subordinate_lists. The problem is that the
> parameter to subordinate_lists are jobs slots and they do not include
> "reservation slots". Therefore I'm able to have exclusive execution
> with this kind of setup, but I'm not able to do AR, i.e. it's possible
> to reserve N slots from all.q and 1 slot from exclusive at the same
> time.

This is a similar issue like the resource reservation and having
subordination.

> I then thought of the load_thresholds having "exclusive=0" and
> defining "exclusive=1" host consumable + "running" complex which would
> contain the number of running jobs and one could do "qrsub -l
> running=0 -l exclusive=1". But then I observed that values from load
> sensors ("running" in this case) are not considered while making an
> AR.
>
> Anyone has other ideas? Or is it not implementable at all? ;-)

What about requesting 1) all the memory in a machine or b) a PE and
run only serial although n slots were requested?

Note: jobs not requesting h_rt will have an assumed duration of
inifinity, to avoid that they still running when the AR starts.

-- Reuti