[GE users] qrsh consumes consumables, qsub does not

Ondrej Bojar bojar at ufal.mff.cuni.cz
Fri Nov 21 14:51:08 GMT 2008

Dear all,

we use GE 6.1u3 and we have set mem_free to consumable:

qconf -sc says:
mem_free   mf   MEMORY    <=   YES    YES        100      0

All our execution hosts have mem_free set to their available physical
memory in qmon->Host Configuration->Consumables/Fixed Attributes.

I can list hosts satisfying some minimum free memory limit:

    qhost -l mem_free=15G

I can schedule interactive jobs requiring (reserving) some amount of
this mem_free consumable resource:

    qrsh -l mem_free=15G "hostname; sleep 60"

Checking the list of hosts (qhost -l above) confirms that the resource
has been partially consumed, e.g. the used execution host disappears
from the list.

Submitting a job with 'qsub -l mem_free=15G ...' however submits the job
on any free execution host, regardless of mem_free. Moreover, the 'qhost
-l' list remains unchanged.)

Could you think of any explanation?

A side issue is that even the 'qrsh -l mem_free=15G' is not reliable. I
often get the error 'Your "qrsh" request could not be scheduled, try
again later.', even in case there are enough hosts available in the
'qhost -l ...' listing.

(Our motivation is clear, we want to trust users: if someone submits a
job claiming he'll need 15 GB, we don't want to another 15GB job on a
16GB machine, even in case the job in question is not consuming its 15
GB yet.)

Looking forward to any suggestions,
   Ondrej Bojar.

--