[GE users] trivial: EXEC_HOST_LIST format?

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Nov 21 15:14:10 GMT 2008

Am 20.11.2008 um 23:37 schrieb Harry Mangalam:

> On Thursday 20 November 2008, reuti wrote:
>> Am 20.11.2008 um 22:26 schrieb Harry Mangalam:
>>> Yes, you were right - my editor auto-pads with tabs and I didn't
>>> catch them but I checked again with an editor that hilites tabs
>>> and tried tabs both in the context of a single line and multiple
>>> lines.
>>
>> In the installation procedure IFS is redefined to be only the
>> newline character, although I don't know why. Maybe a compatibility
>> issue with the original "sh" on some platforms.
>>
>> You are on which platform and distribution?
>
> CentOS 5.2, kernel2.6.18-92.1.10.el5PAE, SGE 6.2
>

>>> It turns out that inst_sge doesn't mind tabs in a single line,
>>> but fails when the XXXX_HOST_LIST line contains newlines with or
>>> without the continuation characters '\'.
>>>
>>> Is there a different continuation character that is valid?
>>>
>>> This seems like an odd format for a system that handles 1000's of
>>> nodes.  Do SGE admins really have single lines defining
>>> HOST_LISTs that span 10s of thousands of characters?
>>
>> I never used this procedure. I install qmaster and one time execd
>> by hand, which is replicated to all nodes afterwards. Then I use a
>> bash loop after the installation adding all hosts as administrative
>> hosts and adding them to the necessary hostgroups. They are know as
>> exechosts automatically, when the execd is started the first time
>> on the nodes.
>
> Hmmm.  I'm thinking about this wrong then.  I thought you were
> supposed to centralize

This should also work, when you have rsh/ssh between the nodes. If I
looked it up correctly, the EXEC_HOST_LIST might also have the name
(s) of  one or more files with one line per host, which will then be
used.

Regarding the original problem: the IFS is redefined and obviously
reset to three blanks+newline. I'll ask on the dev list why, or
whether it's a typo.

-- Reuti