[GE users] qrsh consumes consumables, qsub does not

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Nov 21 22:16:34 GMT 2008

Hi,

Am 21.11.2008 um 15:51 schrieb Ondrej Bojar:

> Dear all,
>
> we use GE 6.1u3 and we have set mem_free to consumable:
>
> qconf -sc says:
> mem_free   mf   MEMORY    <=   YES    YES        100      0
>
> All our execution hosts have mem_free set to their available physical
> memory in qmon->Host Configuration->Consumables/Fixed Attributes.
>
> I can list hosts satisfying some minimum free memory limit:
>
>     qhost -l mem_free=15G
>

> I can schedule interactive jobs requiring (reserving) some amount of
> this mem_free consumable resource:
>
>     qrsh -l mem_free=15G "hostname; sleep 60"
>
> Checking the list of hosts (qhost -l above) confirms that the resource
> has been partially consumed, e.g. the used execution host disappears
> from the list.

this I don't see.

> Submitting a job with 'qsub -l mem_free=15G ...' however submits
> the job
> on any free execution host, regardless of mem_free. Moreover, the
> 'qhost
> -l' list remains unchanged.)
>
> Could you think of any explanation?
>

> A side issue is that even the 'qrsh -l mem_free=15G' is not
> reliable. I
> often get the error 'Your "qrsh" request could not be scheduled, try
> again later.', even in case there are enough hosts available in the
> 'qhost -l ...' listing.
>

> (Our motivation is clear, we want to trust users: if someone submits a
> job claiming he'll need 15 GB, we don't want to another 15GB job on a
> 16GB machine, even in case the job in question is not consuming its 15
> GB yet.)

a) Do you also observe, that the "mem_free" output is always prefixed
by a "hl:" in `qhost -F`?

b) Can you try the same with virtual free? - You should see a "hc:"
in front of it then.

As it's nowhere mentioned to be a feature of virtual_free only, maybe
it's a side effect of mem_tot/mem_used being displayed as columns in
the usual qhost output also. When you define it also as a consumable:
shall these columns also change their output?

-- Reuti