[GE dev] Where to start?

rayson rayrayson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 16:26:45 GMT 2008

(Moving the discussion back to the list) It's great that you are
interested in the SGE project!!

There are some materials that I think are quite useful to the first
time SGE developer:

In the 2002 workshop:
- Working in the Grid Engine Project Part I
- Working in the Grid Engine Project Part II

And other PDFs are available from the Grid Engine workshops:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/workshop.html

As for picking a project, since SGE is an application that is quite
complex, the answer to "where to start?" depends on what you are
interested in.

- if you are interested in low-level Unix programming, then you can
start with working on the execution daemon, which is responsible for
starting SGE jobs.

- if you are interested in scheduling, you can start with the qmaster
daemon and scheduler module.

- if you are interested in data center issues and have access to a
machine that has IPMI, then you can also work with Ron and I on the
power saving project.

- if you are interested in web stuff (eg. AJAX), you can take a look
at the xml-qstat project.

And we have a few Google Summer of Code proposals at: (the
gridengine.info site is currently down, so you may need to wait for a
day or two before it comes back up)
http://wiki.gridengine.info/wiki/index.php/GSoCIdeas

And lastly, we have a few packaging effort going on, including the
Debian & Redhat RPM projects.

Rayson