[GE users] [GE dev] Re: [GE dev] [GE users] Can a user change his/her job priority

craffi dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Nov 26 14:30:13 GMT 2008

My $.02 ...

 From a usability perspective as well as a "does SGE make sense to an
end user" view this is ridiculous. The behavior and usage is the exact
opposite of what an end user would expect to see for a feature that
supposedly exists to let users self-prioritize among their own jobs.
The people who are comfortable with this are long-time SGE users and
admins. New folks can't understand why this is the way it is.

I understand the tech views and since I understand the workarounds I'm
OK with leaving this code as it stands.

But as someone who does SGE training I can tell you that the reaction
from the classroom when you tell the end users that "you can only use
values less than zero to describe the relative importance of your
jobs" is pretty funny. Describing the workarounds just convinces the
class that the implementation of this feature is much harder and more
complex than it needs to be.

Also - have we settled the issue (if there is one) of users no longer
being able raise the priority within the allowed range? That seems
like a bug to me -- someone who does a "-p -100" should be allowed to
qalter the value to "-p -90" etc.

-Chris