[GE users] restart qmaster / dbwriter

jana jana.olivova at sun.com
Wed Nov 26 17:21:54 GMT 2008

Hi Yann,

2.) I would like to add that the reporting file has not effect on
running jobs.

1.) If you have set the DBWRITER_REPORTING_FILE parameter in the
dbwriter.conf file to a different value than
$SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/common/reporting then it means that dbwriter is not
parsing the reporting file that qmaster produces. I am not sure what
file it is parsing in that case.  I assume this is intentional, because
you don't want this file to get consumed by dbwriter but be parsed by
your own program.

So, parsing (reading) of the reporting file is not connected to qmaster.
Qmaster creates file, dbwriter in predefined intervals checks if the
file, specified in the dbwriter.conf, exists and then renames it to
reporting.processing, parses this new file and stores the data in the
database. Once it is done, it deletes this reporting.processing file.
Meanwhile, the qmaster had created a new reporting file.

Not sure if that answered your question, but hopefully it had shed some
light on how it all works together.

Regards,

Jana Olivova