[GE users] Implications of Hyperthread enabled CPUs and jobs

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Thu Nov 27 10:16:30 GMT 2008

> It appears that the physical CPUs are "Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.00GHz".
>
> It appears from /proc/cpuinfo that all 4 logic CPUs appear to the OS
> exactly
> the same, even though they are just 2 physical CPUs with Hyper-
> threading
> enabled.
>
> So it doesn't appear that the OS is smart enough to know the
> difference
> between physical and logical.  Anyone know if the Grid Engine knows
> the
> difference?

The OS only knows what the cpu itself reports.
The newer chips do report it. From my workstation,

processor       : 0
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6400  @ 2.13GHz
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
&
processor       : 1
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6400  @ 2.13GHz
core id         : 1
cpu cores       : 2

With older chips you are stuck with one of the following options (no
joke):

- check the purchase order / shipping invoice to what was purchased.
- open the box and count the cpus
- check the purchase order / shipping invoice to what was purchased.

Note all the information down, maybe per MAC address.

/mark
message from your computer.