[GE users] New MPICH2 Howto online

igardais ionel.gardais at tech-advantage.com
Thu Nov 27 10:31:09 GMT 2008

Hi Reuti,

Thanks for your work, I'm in the process to test with IntelMPI.

I have a bit-off-topic question about MPI and version dependency (please forgive if it looks obvious. I don't want to start a troll thread).
Why are mpi-compiled programs so tightly linked to the version of MPI used ?
For instance, whatever mpi startup method is used, it is done outside the code. So how could it impact the generated binaries ?
Beside the startup method issue, a call to 'MPI_Comm_rank(MPI_COMM_WORLD, &rank)' looks the same whether you use mpich, openmp or lam/mpi.
Is there an ongoing effort to unify this, enabling mpi programs to switch between libraries tranparently (at least for the common basic calls) ?

Thanks,
Ionel