[GE users] Implications of Hyperthread enabled CPUs and jobs

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Nov 27 13:37:42 GMT 2008

Am 27.11.2008 um 10:27 schrieb Neil Baker:

> I?ve been reading up on Hyper-thread enabled CPUs and am wondering
> if it is best to disable or enable Hyper-threading in the BIOS?

I switched it always off in the past. My experience was also around
up to 50% only. Depending of you applications, you might want to try
a setup with 3 slots per node (with 2 physical CPUs). Maybe one of
them in a different queue with a nice value (i.e. priority in the
queue definition) of 19 as some kind of background-queue.

> Most of our grid machines have 2x physical 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 CPUs
> with Hyper-threading enabled.  We are running openSuse10.0 on them
> (BIGSMP 2.6 kernel) so they appear to be 4x logical processors.
>
> If 2 jobs are assigned to run on the same machine, is the kernel or
> grid engine smart enough to run them on two physically separate CPUs,

Yes, the Linux kernel scheduler should take care of it.

> or is there a random chance that they may both run on the same
> physical CPU (i.e. the main and hyper-threaded logical CPU on the
> same physical CPU) and therefore leave the other physical CPU
> totally unused?

As the Linux kernel scheduler will change the assigment over time:
yes, it might happen and you might see a system task on the other CPU.

-- Reuti