[GE users] advance reserve and job time limits (2)

reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Nov 28 23:18:00 GMT 2008

Hi,

Am 28.11.2008 um 17:40 schrieb SLIM H.A.:

> I have to clarify my question:
> "Is it essentially in order for advance reserve to work in a parallel
> queue, to have time limits for all jobs in that queue? (GridEngine
> 6.1u2)"

the default time assumed for jobs is 10 minutes in 6.1 if none is
given, and "inifinity" in 6.2. It's not enforced though.

> I want to use qsub -R y -l slots=80 and set max_reservation for the

-R y will make a resource reservation, but not an AR (advance
reservation) tied to a fixed time. AR is a feature of 6.2.

> scheduler, eg prevent smaller jobs from starting until the reserved
> job
> can start. Does this work if there are no time limits on any jobs, of
> course back filling won't work then.

The above times apply and might lead to false scheduling in 6.1, 6.2
is more safe. You could increase the default time in `qconf -msconf`.

> Also what should be set for
> max_reservation? Should a stop or start time be given to the 80 slots
> job?

No, this is not necessary. The above mentioned default will apply.