[GE users] SGE auto backup not working

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Oct 3 20:38:13 BST 2008

Am 03.10.2008 um 20:49 schrieb Simon Gao:

> Reuti wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 03.10.2008 um 19:49 schrieb Simon Gao:
>>
>>> I am trying to set up SGE auto backup, but it failed with following
>>> error:
>>>
>>> Reading configuration from file
>>> /opt/gridengine/util/install_modules/backup_template.conf
>>> error resolving host "undef": can't resolve host name (h_errno =
>>> HOST_NOT_FOUND)
>>> SGE_ROOT: /opt/gridengine
>>> infotext: too few arguments
>>> bootstrap file could not be found in:
>>> /opt/gridengine//common !
>>
>> here the $SGE_CELL seems to be set to nil. As usual: what SGE version
>> are you using?
>>
>> Shouldn't the backup location be one directory further down, i.e.
>> like
>> /tmp/sge ?
>>
>> Is there a file in /tmp called install.<pid> with further
>> information?
>>
>> -- Reuti
>>

> SGE 6.0u6.
>
> Here is the command:
>
> ./inst_sge -bup -auto
> /opt/gridengine/util/install_modules/backup_template.conf
>
> $SGE_CELL is defined in backup_template.conf file as:
>

>>> # Please, enter your SGE_ROOT here (mandatory)
>>> SGE_ROOT="/opt/gridengine"
>>>
>>> # Please, enter your SGE_CELL here (mandatory)
>>> SGE_CELL="default"
> But for some reason, the variable is not picked up from the file.

Yep, exactly this is the bug in 6.0u6 compared to later versions in
GetConfigFromFile() in inst_common.sh:

u6

   #CheckConfigFile
   SGE_CELL=$CELL_NAME
   DB_SPOOLING_SERVER=`ResolveHosts $DB_SPOOLING_SERVER`
   ADMIN_HOST_LIST=`ResolveHosts $ADMIN_HOST_LIST`
   SUBMIT_HOST_LIST=`ResolveHosts $SUBMIT_HOST_LIST`
   EXEC_HOST_LIST=`ResolveHosts $EXEC_HOST_LIST`
   SHADOW_HOST=`ResolveHosts $SHADOW_HOST`
   EXEC_HOST_LIST_RM=`ResolveHosts $EXEC_HOST_LIST_RM`

u9

    CheckConfigFile
    if [ "$BACKUP" = "false" ]; then
       SGE_CELL=$CELL_NAME
       DB_SPOOLING_SERVER=`ResolveHosts $DB_SPOOLING_SERVER`
       ADMIN_HOST_LIST=`ResolveHosts $ADMIN_HOST_LIST`
       SUBMIT_HOST_LIST=`ResolveHosts $SUBMIT_HOST_LIST`
       EXEC_HOST_LIST=`ResolveHosts $EXEC_HOST_LIST`
       SHADOW_HOST=`ResolveHosts $SHADOW_HOST`
       EXEC_HOST_LIST_RM=`ResolveHosts $EXEC_HOST_LIST_RM`
    fi

Any chance to update to a later release of 6.0? You can of course try
to edit simply these lines (on your own risk).