[GE users] migrate bdb server

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 6 16:14:33 BST 2008

--- On Mon, 10/6/08, Davide Cittaro wrote:
> If I only have to migrate the bdb, can I do it without
> shutting down
> the qmaster/execds? I mean, I possibly freeze the queues
> and running
> jobs, shut down bdb, dump it, import on the new server,
> change spooling_params in bootstrap file, run the new bdb?

Are you refering to a local BDB or a RPC BDB server?

For a local one, the Berkeley DB "server" is actually part of the qmaster process. The BDB runs inside the process of qmaster, so there is no way to only shutdown BDB.

However, you don't need to shutdown the execds. If you migrate your qmaster machine, the jobs and execds can be left untouched. When the new qmaster runs, the execds will discover that the new qmaster is up and will connect to it to report status of the hosts and jobs.

 -Ron