[GE users] Functional policy in heterogeneous environment

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Oct 6 20:12:15 BST 2008

Hi -

We've recently added a new cluster here of 8-core intel CPUs; this is
going in the pool with the cluster of dual PPC G5 machines. I want to
put a department-based functional share to split the usage between the
two main users of the cluster (two bioinformatics processing
pipelines). Each slot in the new cluster is significantly faster than
the slots in the old cluster; is there a way to make the functional
policy take that into account? There are roughly the same number of
slots in each cluster, but it would be unfair for a 50/50 share to
have one app have the slow slots and the other app have the fast slots.

I was planning on setting up a queue for each cluster, and set
queue_sort_method to seqno with a lower number on the queue with the
fast nodes, so they're used first.

Is there a way to do this, or am I thinking about it wrong?

thanks,
--bob