[GE users] Functional policy in heterogeneous environment

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Oct 6 22:22:45 BST 2008

> you might want to defina a "usage_scaling" in the exechost
> definition, i.e. "qconf -me <hostname>" (man host_conf)

Ah, excellent. I'm guessing I would set a usage_scaling for "cpu" on
the fast nodes to say 2, which would then have the desired effect on
the ticket assignment?

> In case of parallel jobs it's seems also necesary to have them
> completely in one type of machines:
>
> http://gridengine.info/2006/02/14/grouping-jobs-to-nodes-via-wildcard-pes

I hadn't gotten there yet but probably will this week - thanks.

>> I was planning on setting up a queue for each cluster
>
> This is not necessary. You can also apply different sequence numbers
> for hosts or hostgroups in the queuedefintion, like also saving the
> above mentioned queues to separate parallel apps.

Aha, good. I always forget that you can override many of these
parameters at the host group level. Though I do like having the
separate queues for reporting use - qstat -g c giving a nice concise
view of the utilization of the different flavors. Is there any real
operational difference between the two approaches? (other than having
to duplicate common queue configuration if there are multiple queues).

> PS: Additional hint: If you have a directory structure of:
>
> /opt/bioinformatics/lx24-amd64/bin/myapp
> /opt/bioinformatics/darwin/bin/myapp
>
> you can have a jobscript to run:
>
> /opt/bioinformatics/$ARC/bin/myapp
>
> and you will always get the right binaries while having only one
> jobscript - whereever you end up

We use a different approach internally to the infrastructure of the
apps that does essentially the same thing; the bootstrapping of the
app uses arch or hostname to determine the base location of the
machine/architecture dependent code (so we can have individual host
overrides, since $ARCH doesn't distinguish completely for us - in the
complete environment we have 3-4 different linux flavors that don't
necessarily all work properly with the same compiled code).

thanks,
--bob