[GE users] runBulkJobs() and PARAMETRIC_INDEX

Rayson Ho rayrayson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 02:54:41 BST 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:04 PM, Nick Burdan <nburdan at rainmaker.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> I'm using runBulkJobs() and I'm not sure how to use the PARAMETRIC_INDEX
> placeholder.  I'm using the python DRMAA extensions and the first thing I am
> trying to do is get separate log files going, but it is not working:

Are you able to get the job submitted to qmaster?? Do the job run??

> How does one use the PARAMETRIC_INDEX placeholder?  Where and when does it
> get replaced?

There is an example in the DRMAA-python package -- see examples/example.py

I am not a Python programmer, my answers are based on reading the code...

1) PARAMETRIC_INDEX gets defined as DRMAA_PLACEHOLDER_INCR which is
actually "$drmaa_incr_ph$" in the Python binding (see:
swig_const_table)
2) the drmaa library replaces "$drmaa_incr_ph$" with string "$TASK_ID"
before submitting the job to qmaster.
3) When the execd finds that the output/error file path has the
"$TASK_ID" magic value, it expands it to the actual task id (in
function expand_path() - only if it is a real array job).

Rayson