[GE users] Next Grid Engine release plan

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Tue Oct 7 11:39:50 BST 2008

Hi Ron,

> I want to add a few small enhancements to SGE. I will finalise the
> proposals and send them out later.

since Urubu is a minor update to SGE 6.2 it will be most likley both: a
release with new features and a set of bug feixws, i.e. a patch. That means
that there cannot be any changes in the protocol between the daemons and
clients. The spooled job format also cannot be changed. We won't be able to
work on a on-the-fly upgrade of the spooled jobs or enabling the qmaster
communicating with components using a different protocol. The features we
are planning and which I had announced only will change spooled bitmasks and
the (global) cluster configuration - this will be relatively easy to handle
when a new qmaster starts up.

Andy