[GE users] runBulkJobs() and PARAMETRIC_INDEX

Rayson Ho rayrayson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 18:53:51 BST 2008

On 10/7/08, Nick Burdan <nburdan at rainmaker.com> wrote:
> So the PARAMETRIC_INDEX gets replaced in job paths....any idea how to pass
> this value to the job?  It would be nice if it could be passed in the args
> but it doesn't get replaced there...how are people passing this value to
> their jobs?

If you want to find out the "PARAMETRIC_INDEX" value inside the job,
you can reference the environment variable $SGE_TASK_ID

See also: http://wiki.gridengine.info/wiki/index.php/Simple-Job-Array-Howto

Rayson

P.S. BTW, I am almost always on the list, so please don't cc me as I
don't need the extra copy of the message!

> Thanks,
> Nick
>

> Nick Burdan wrote:
> Hi Rayson,
> Woops the answer is there in the example.  Works great!  Thanks for
> replying.
>
> Best,
> Nick
>
> Rayson Ho wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:04 PM, Nick Burdan <nburdan at rainmaker.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
I'm using runBulkJobs() and I'm not sure how to use the
> PARAMETRIC_INDEX
placeholder. I'm using the python DRMAA extensions and the
> first thing I am
trying to do is get separate log files going, but it is not
> working:

> Are you able to get the job submitted to qmaster?? Do the job run??

> How does one use the PARAMETRIC_INDEX placeholder? Where and when does
> it
get replaced?

> There is an example in the DRMAA-python package -- see
> examples/example.py

I am not a Python programmer, my answers are based on
> reading the code...

1) PARAMETRIC_INDEX gets defined as
> DRMAA_PLACEHOLDER_INCR which is
actually "$drmaa_incr_ph$" in the Python
> binding (see:
swig_const_table)
2) the drmaa library replaces
> "$drmaa_incr_ph$" with string "$TASK_ID"
before submitting the job to
> qmaster.
3) When the execd finds that the output/error file path has
> the
"$TASK_ID" magic value, it expands it to the actual task id (in
function
> expand_path() - only if it is a real array job).

Rayson

> Thanks,
Nick

For additional