[GE users] end job

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Wed Oct 8 12:08:00 BST 2008

> Is there a way to know when a job has finished its run WITHOUT sending
> mail and WITHOUT qstat comand?
> I need that SGE shows me in automatic way, for example in command-
> line, when a job has finished.

You can't rely on any screen output, since the shell that did the qsub
may not even exist when a job is done. If you wish a particular action
to occur, you can create an appropriate prolog and epilog scripts.
In my prolog, for example, I have this:
echo "start ($JOB_ID)" `date -Is 2>/dev/null`

In my epilog, for example, I have this:
echo "end   ($JOB_ID)" `date -Is 2>/dev/null`

This way the start/end times of each job are nicely recorded in the
output files.

If you some other type of signalling, you could always have the epilog
append the completed job number and information to a file
   eg, /some/path/share/JOBS_DONE/$USER
and then have a small daemon program (eg, in Perl) that examines the
file contents for changes and then does something to let you know.

/mark
message from your computer.