[GE users] end job / Growl daemon

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Oct 8 12:34:38 BST 2008

Hi,

Am 08.10.2008 um 12:47 schrieb Luca Tola:

> I have a simple question to do, I've just searched in the Users
> Guide but I didn't find nothing.
> Is there a way to know when a job has finished its run WITHOUT
> sending a mail and WITHOUT qstat comand?
> I need that SGE shows me in automatic way, for example in command-
> line, when a job has finished.

you could submit the job with "-sync y" and then the command prompt
won't return before the end of the job - of course you need one
terminal window per job this way. Another option would be to define a
global- or queue-epilog like Mark suggested, where you can run any
script you like, e.g. you could even trigger some X10 interface to
switch on the light in the office again or ring a bell.

Maybe it would be a general idea, to supply some kind of local
daemon, which could interface with Growl (at least on a Mac) to pop
up a box when something happened with the state of a job.