[GE users] about daemons

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 8 13:52:37 BST 2008

--- On Wed, 10/8/08, Rafid Al-Khannak <alkhannak at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Is there a daemon for start up/ shut down service (in SGE)?

There are scripts to start and shutdown daemons in SGE, but there is no daemon to control daemons in SGE.

You can modify the script and make it start a new set of daemons in case the existing ones get killed. Or, if you are on Solaris, use SMF (Service Management Facility).

>  What's the difference between SGE & LSF (load
> sharing facility in Platform)?

To many, they are very similar. It all depends on what you want to run on the cluster, and how much money you want to pay.

I would say more than 80% of the time, SGE can easily replace LSF.

> and what's the API and where can i find a detailed
> imformation about it?

For Job API, SGE has DRMAA. It is supported by most batch systems, and in reality, Platform added support for it because no one really use Platform's API.

http://www.drmaa.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRMAA

 -Ron