[GE users] about daemons

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Thu Oct 9 03:01:22 BST 2008

On Oct 8, 2008, at 8:52 AM, Ron Chen wrote:

>> What's the difference between SGE & LSF (load
>> sharing facility in Platform)?
>
> To many, they are very similar. It all depends on what you want to
> run on the cluster, and how much money you want to pay.
>
> I would say more than 80% of the time, SGE can easily replace LSF.

I disagree with Ron -- its likely closer to 90% these days at least in
my industry.

I gave a talk at the 2007 SGE Workshop called "SGE vs. LSF"  where I
tried to compare SGE vs LSF in the context of how an enterprise
organization makes a selection decision between the competing
distributed resource management products. It's a bit dated but I'd be
happy to provide the PDF privately, just drop me an email.

The shortest answer to the "LSF vs SGE" question is that in 2008 all
of the competing products do a great job at the basic process of
handling policy-based scheduling of distributed resources (SGE,
PBSPro, Torque, LSF, etc.). The only difference really is cost,
architecture and some minor differences in feature sets and behavior.

My biased opinion is that Grid Engine is the best of all from a price/
feature comparison.

LSF is superior when it comes to the sheer amount and capabilities of
extra additional software add-ons and feature layers. Platform
provides extra layered products (for extra cost of course) that
complement LSF in ways that the competing free and commercial products
can't match. Examples include LSF MultiCluster for multi-site
scheduling across a WAN and Platform Process Manager for driving very
complex workflows. There are many other layered and complementary
software stacks offered by Platform and some are customized right down
for very specific industries.

The 90% figure comes from the fact that 90% of the community does not
need these add-ons and extra features -- most of us just need policy
based resource allocation and job scheduling and that is why the
market share is trending towards SGE.

Hope that makes sense. What I'm trying to say is that LSF is generally
"superior" when you get out of the mainstream and start talking about
feature requirements for a much smaller subset of the distributed
computing or HPC market.

My $.02 of course

-chris