[GE users] One queue, hosts with time restrictions

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Oct 9 15:55:25 BST 2008

I've got SGE 6.1 installed on a handful of machines at work, call them A, B,
C, D, E and F.  A, B and C are available full-time for computation, while D,
E and F are only available off-hours (unavailable 7:30 to 15:30).  I have
two calendars defined:

    full-time: Year == None, Week == None
    off-hours: Year == None, Week == 'mon-fri=7:30-15:30=suspended'

I've tried customizing the relevant hosts in the Hosts tab of the Cluster
Queue dialog like so.  Highlight host, select Customize, double-click
'calendar' under Available Resources, enter 'off-hours' as the value,
confirm, then Save the dialog.  SGE doesn't complain and my hosts are all
visible, but my Cluster Queues and Queue Instances tabs are now empty.  When
I clear the calendar item from the Filter Resources the Cluster Queues and
Queue Instances reappear.

I would like users to submit all jobs to a single queue but have SGE avoid
using those hosts with the off-hours calendar during the blackout period.
What do I need to do to achieve this?

Thanks,

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/