[GE users] SGE installation on Altix 4700 query

Shannon V. Davidson svdavidson at charter.net
Tue Oct 14 04:10:41 BST 2008

John Leidel wrote:
> Walid, what SGI ProPack are you running?  The cpuset functionality will
> be tied to the ProPack release, not the SLES release.

The latest cpuset version is implemented in the Linux kernel, making it
useful not just for Altix computers, but for other linux-based SMPs as
well.  I recently developed a new Grid Engine / cpuset integration based
on the kernel cpuset implementation. The integration is implemented as a
single C program configured as a queue starter_method which takes care
of allocating the cpuset, starting the job, and cleaning up cpusets
after job failures. Most of the real work is handled by the kernel-based
cpuset implementation. This integration is running at a production Altix
site.  I'm currently making a few more updates to ensure that it works
without propack - for example, on dual-socket or quad-socket quad-core
Intel or AMD x86_64 machines running Red Hat 5.1 or CentOS 5.1.  Once
I'm happy with the updates, I plan to make it available as a download on
gridengine.sunsource.net.  I believe the implementation is modular
enough to consider integrating as part of the shepherd daemon in a
future Grid Engine release.

-Shannon