[GE users] users, queues, projects and Fairshare policies question

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Oct 14 15:51:06 BST 2008

Am 13.10.2008 um 18:55 schrieb Gon?alo Borges:

> *** CONTEXT ***
>
> - I have a project called DteamGrid containing two acls. Some fair
> share policies are also allocated to this project
>
>    [dteam001 at ce02 ~]$ qconf -sprj DteamGrid
>    name DteamGrid
>    oticket 0
>    fshare 2500000
>    acl dteamroles dteamusers
>    xacl NONE
>

> - I have defined a cluster queue with the following definitions:
>
>    [dteam001 at ce02 ~]$ qconf -sq dteamgrid | grep projects
>    projects              DteamGrid
>    xprojects             NONE
>    [dteam001 at ce02 ~]$ qconf -sq dteamgrid | grep user_list
>    user_lists            NONE
>    xuser_lists           NONE
>
> *** PROBLEM ***
>
> - When I try to submit a job using only "qsub <my_script.sh>" the
> job never executes.
>
> [dteam001 at ce02 ~]$ qsub teste.sh
> Your job 777537 ("teste.sh") has been submitted
>
> [dteam001 at ce02 ~]$ qstat -j 777537 | grep -i project
>                            (no project) does not have the correct
> project to run in cluster queue "dteamgrid"
>
> *** WORKAROUND ***
>
> - The job is only executed if I explicitly do
>
>    1) [dteam001 at ce02 ~]$ qsub -P  DteamGrid  <my_script.sh>
>
> or if I redefine the cluster queue configurations as
>
>    2) [dteam001 at ce02 ~]$ qconf -sq dteamgrid | grep projects
>    projects              NONE
>    xprojects             NONE
>    [dteam001 at ce02 ~]$ qconf -sq dteamgrid | grep user
>    user_lists            dteamusers dteamroles
>    xuser_lists           NONE
>

> *** QUESTIONS ***
>
> A) I was expecting that SGE would automatically find what cluster
> queue a given user could run his jobs ONLY based on the queue
> project acess list. This doesn't seem to be true and the project
> argument seems to be mandatory, as shown in WORKAROUND 1. Is this
> true?

yes. The access is limited to this queue for certain projects only. A
user can be allowed to submit jobs for many projects to which he
belongs - how should SGE select the right one? But you can define a
default project for each user. A project is an unambiguous attribute
of the job, not of the user.

> B) In WORKAROUND 2),  SGE discovers the appropriate cluster queue a
> given user could run his jobs based on the cluster queue user list
> definition. In this case, and although there is no project
> associated to this cluster queue, will the fair share policy
> (implemented on a project basis) be followed simply because the
> user belongs to a given project?

When a job has no project assigned, it shouldn't count against any.
As a user can belong to more than one project, SGE can't select a
project for him.