[GE users] SGE installation on Altix 4700 query

Rayson Ho rayrayson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 23:31:29 BST 2008

On 10/13/08, Shannon V. Davidson <svdavidson at charter.net> wrote:
> The latest cpuset version is implemented in the Linux kernel, making it
> useful not just for Altix computers, but for other linux-based SMPs as well.
>  I recently developed a new Grid Engine / cpuset integration based on the
> kernel cpuset implementation. The integration is implemented as a single C
> program configured as a queue starter_method which takes care of allocating
> the cpuset, starting the job, and cleaning up cpusets after job failures.

Shannon,

Does your code keep track of cpuset membership of each processor?? Or
does it handle it at job start time by checking which processors are
free and creates a cpuset on the fly??

Rayson

> Most of the real work is handled by the kernel-based cpuset implementation.
> This integration is running at a production Altix site.  I'm currently
> making a few more updates to ensure that it works without propack - for
> example, on dual-socket or quad-socket quad-core Intel or AMD x86_64
> machines running Red Hat 5.1 or CentOS 5.1.  Once I'm happy with the
> updates, I plan to make it available as a download on
> gridengine.sunsource.net.  I believe the implementation is modular enough to
> consider integrating as part of the shepherd daemon in a future Grid Engine
> release.
>
> -Shannon
>

> On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 13:10 +0300, Walid wrote:

> 2008/10/11 Rayson Ho <rayrayson at gmail.com>
 We have:

> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/files/documents/7/3/sge_cpuset.tar.gz

 Note that the arch name for Linux on IA64 is "ia64linux" for
 SGE 5.3,
> and for SGE 6.0 the arch name is "lx24-ia64" and "lx26-ia64".
 So you
 need
> to replace all ia64linux with the correct arch name in
 the
 cpuset_clean
> and cpuset_epilog script.

I have installed it, however on SLES10U2 SP6r2
> cpuset have different
flag options, and rpm package than the older Altix
> with RHEL3U4 SP3U6
as can be seen from the cpuset.log file under the spool
> dir :

Sun Oct 12 12:32:39 zzz 2008 cpuset_prolog[15.1] ERROR:
> cpuset
creation failure - /usr/bin/cpuset: invalid option -- q cpuset
> failed:
unrecognized option Try
'cpuset -h' for more
> information.
Sun Oct 12 12:32:50 zzz 2008 cpuset_prolog[16.1] ERROR:
> cpuset
creation failure - /usr/bin/cpuset: invalid option -- q cpuset
> failed:
unrecognized option Try
'cpuset -h' for more information.
Sun
> Oct 12 12:33:29 zzz 2008 cpuset_prolog[15.1] ERROR: cpuset
allocation of
> sge1 in /tmp/sgelocks/cpuset_15.1 failed

regards

Walid

For additional