[GE users] users, queues, projects and Fairshare policies question

Gon?alo Borges goncalo at lip.pt
Thu Oct 16 12:05:15 BST 2008

Hi Reuti...

Thanks for the answer... Just some some final question...

>> B) In WORKAROUND 2),  SGE discovers the appropriate cluster queue a
>> given user could run his jobs based on the cluster queue user list
>> definition. In this case, and although there is no project associated
>> to this cluster queue, will the fair share policy (implemented on a
>> project basis) be followed simply because the user belongs to a given
>> project?
>
> When a job has no project assigned, it shouldn't count against any. As
> a user can belong to more than one project, SGE can't select a project
> for him.

1) If a user belong to ONLY one project

[root at sge01 tools_scripts]# qconf -suser goncalo
name goncalo
oticket 0
fshare 0
delete_time 0
default_project Na50Lip

SGE is able to discover the cluster queue where his jobs are supposed to
run (he doesn't need to invoke the -P option at qsub time). I tested it
and it works.

2) If the Fairshare Policy is defined on a project basis, it will be
taken into account in previous situation? Otherwise, it would be simply
better to forget about projects, define Fairshare Policies based on
users and use the user list item in the queue definition to allow user
access to cluster queues...

Thanks in Advance
Goncalo