[GE users] queue wait policy

Mag Gam magawake at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 14:31:06 BST 2008

Hello All:

We have implemented Sun Grid Engine at our University's lab which has
about 70 CPUs. I have an interesting scnerio:

userA submits 10 jobs  at 5:00AM
userB submits 10 jobs  at 5:10AM
userC submits 10 jobs at 5:20 AM

These 30 jobs go into the queue and its a FIFO operation. It seems
like we have to wait for userA's job to finish first, then userB's job
 and finally userC.

What we would like to see is:
UserA takes up 5 slots (the remainder go into queue wait) and when
userB submits her job at 5:10AM we want her 5 jobs to start
immediately and place the remainder 5 in a queue. Same goes for userC.

Basically, we don't want userB, and userC to wait for userA to finish
since userA's job take a very long time to complete.

Any thoughts or tweaks I can look into?

TIA