[GE users] queue wait policy

Jan Sundermeyer jan.sundermeyer at iis.fraunhofer.de
Thu Oct 16 14:37:25 BST 2008

you could install resource quotas like:

{
   name         RestrictionToQueue
   description  "limits access to queue to 5 jobs per user"
   enabled      TRUE
   limit        users {*} queues all.q to slots=5
}

Thus a user can not have more than 5 jobs running concurrently in the
specified queue.

Details are described here:
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/nonav/source/browse/~checkout~/gridengine/doc/devel/rfe/ResourceQuotaSpecification.html

Ciao,
  Jan

Mag Gam schrieb:
> Hello All:
>
> We have implemented Sun Grid Engine at our University's lab which has
> about 70 CPUs. I have an interesting scnerio:
>
> userA submits 10 jobs  at 5:00AM
> userB submits 10 jobs  at 5:10AM
> userC submits 10 jobs at 5:20 AM
>
> These 30 jobs go into the queue and its a FIFO operation. It seems
> like we have to wait for userA's job to finish first, then userB's job
>  and finally userC.
>
> What we would like to see is:
> UserA takes up 5 slots (the remainder go into queue wait) and when
> userB submits her job at 5:10AM we want her 5 jobs to start
> immediately and place the remainder 5 in a queue. Same goes for userC.
>
> Basically, we don't want userB, and userC to wait for userA to finish
> since userA's job take a very long time to complete.
>
> Any thoughts or tweaks I can look into?
>
> TIA

Jan Sundermeyer

Fraunhofer-Institut für Integrierte Schaltungen
Projektgruppe Optische Kommunikationstechnik
Am Wolfsmantel 33
D-91058 Erlangen
Germany

phone (49) 9131/776-9214     Fax.: -499     e-mail:
Jan.Sundermeyer at iis.fraunhofer.de

Signierungszertifikat: http://pki.fraunhofer.de

http://www.iis.fhg.de/asic