[GE users] queue wait policy

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Thu Oct 16 14:41:08 BST 2008

I'd recommend setting up a fairshare policy that treats all users
equally:

http://gridengine.info/2006/01/17/easy-setup-of-equal-user-fairshare-policy

By default Grid Engine will fill all available job slots if there are
appropriate jobs in the pending queue. Unless you go out of your way
configuring policies or resource quotas you are not going to see job
slots left free for other users. SGE does almost all of its resource
allocation work by sorting an resorting the pending list -- it will
not mess with running jobs or keep slots open unless you specifically
configure this.

The fairshare policy above will almost do what you are requesting
except for the fact that you will have to wait for a few of User A
jobs' to run successfully and drain out of the system before you see
User B and C jobs starting to get dispatched. Eventually you will see
User A,B,C jobs reflected equally across the nodes but again - this is
done by waiting for job slots to free up so that User B and C jobs can
be taken from the top of the pending list.

Regards,
Chris