[GE users] problems with reaching hosts

k.radacki k.radacki at mail.uni-wuerzburg.de
Fri Oct 17 10:14:29 BST 2008

Dear All,
after some 8 faithful years of work it came time, that I have to exchange
our queue-server (old dual P3-550 board get into pension scheme :-)
The computation nodes stayed more or less the same. I've installed SGE 6.2.
Unfortunately the executions hosts were unavailable for computations.

qstat -f
all.q at hall13.khazad.dum        BIP   0/0/4          -NA-     -NA-          a
all.q at hall14.khazad.dum        BIP   0/0/4          -NA-     -NA-          a

In .../spool/../messages I've found
local configuration localhost.localdomain not defined - using global
configuration
main|hall13|I|starting up SGE 6.2 (lx24-amd64)
main|hall13|E|can't connect to service
main|hall13|E|can't get configuration from qmaster -- backgrounding

The hostname on all nodes gives "proper" name
[root at hall13 ~]# hostname
hall13.khazad.dum

now I commented in /etc/hosts
# 127.0.0.1     localhost.localdomain   localhost
and queue works
all.q at hall13.khazad.dum        BIP   0/0/4          0.10     lx24-amd64
all.q at hall14.khazad.dum        BIP   0/0/4          0.00     lx24-amd64

Can somebody explain me why SGE uses "wrong" host name  and what should
I do
to correct this behaviour?
I'm not that happy with commenting localhost in /etc/hosts file.
Who knows what under problems I will get with network services.

have a nice weekend
Kris