[GE users] sge and license usage

Gavin Burris bug at sas.upenn.edu
Sun Oct 19 22:41:09 BST 2008

I have a piece of software with a finite number of floating licenses.
Only one license is checked out per user per host.  That means if a user
runs 8 jobs from the same node, they only count as one license checked
out.  The default behavior of Grid Engine, however, is to evenly
distribute these jobs across all nodes, which checks out and consumes 8x
licenses.

What would be the best way to queue jobs so that they are grouped
together?  How can I configure a queue to fill a node to capacity before
sending jobs to the next node?

Cheers.