[GE users] sge and license usage

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Oct 20 08:37:18 BST 2008

Gavin,

Am 19.10.2008 um 23:41 schrieb Gavin Burris:

> I have a piece of software with a finite number of floating licenses.
> Only one license is checked out per user per host.  That means if a
> user
> runs 8 jobs from the same node, they only count as one license checked
> out.  The default behavior of Grid Engine, however, is to evenly
> distribute these jobs across all nodes, which checks out and
> consumes 8x
> licenses.
>
> What would be the best way to queue jobs so that they are grouped
> together?  How can I configure a queue to fill a node to capacity
> before
> sending jobs to the next node?

for now there is no way to implement it in a good way right now, but
AFAIK it's already foreseen for the nexet major release:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=26060

The only reliable way for now is to make host-locked licenses out of
the floating ones, means to attach it as a feature to certain hosts
and request these hosts/hostgroup in the qsub.