[GE users] sge and license usage

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Oct 20 16:00:54 BST 2008

Am 20.10.2008 um 16:45 schrieb Gavin Burris:

> Thank you for the link.  That looks promising for future releases.
>
> I think I may still be able to accomplish my goal by having one queue
> per node.  Each of my nodes has 8 cores/processors/slots.
>
> So now my question is:  what is the best way to chain queues so they
> fill up in series?  Fill 8 slots of node01.q, then node02.q, then
> node03.q, etc.

You can use Stephan's "fill up" method:

http://blogs.sun.com/sgrell/entry/grid_engine_scheduler_hacks_least

============================

If you have this working and more type of jobs in the cluster, you
could enhance this by filling jobs of type A from one side of the
cluster, and other types of jobs from the other side. For this you
would need two queues with sequence number in opposite directions and
setting the scheduler to sort by seqno. As you then might
oversubscribe a host, due to having two queues per machine now, the
slots must be limites either in an RQS or by assignnig the true slot
count as complex_values per execution host.

The jobs must then also request either the queue they should go to,
or better by having a custom BOOL complex as forced for the license
limited jobs. Other jobs would then go automatically to the other
queue without requiring any change, and the special jobs will need
"qsub -l extra ..." suppose extra is a forced bool complex, attached
only to the special queue.

-- Reuti