[GE users] lam/mpi sge and msc nastran integration

Pedro G sanfermines at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 15:27:49 BST 2008

Hello I am new in this list. I was asking this on another list and Reuti
told me to use this since it is the correct one.

Also I have done what he said; I redirected LAM/MPI to /bin/true as
suggested and now I get "It seems that there is no lamd running on the host
" message.

I have been trying to get rid of it but I couldn't.

I attach the files nastran uses. I think the more important file is
ref-1.T8677_13. Take a look to the end of the file where it launches mpirun.
I think the problem is there, but I couldn't solve it.

Thank you very much.

Am 20.10.2008 um 14:17 schrieb Pedro G:

> On 10/20/08, Reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote: Hi,
>
> Am 20.10.2008 um 12:18 schrieb Pedro G:
>
> I would like to know if Msc Nastran supports openmpi.
>
> I have been searching in google about Nastran and Openmpi but I couldn't
> find if it works or not.
>
> Now I'm using lam/mpi for nastran parallel jobs, but I have some problems
> with lam, nastran and sge, so I'd like to upgrade to openmpi.
>
> do you have the source code of the application? If you have only the binary
> compiled for LAM, then you can't do anything to change. You checked the
> LAM/MPI Howto at the SGE website?
>
> No, I don't have the source code, the application seems to be able to work
> with openmpi since it has an option openmpi=yes in the command line, but I
> couldn't make it to work. Anyway, I think it is not fully supported yet
> since there is nothing about that option in the user manual
>
> About LAM/MPI I have already read the howto and did a tight integration.
> The problem is that Msc Nastran in parallel jobs start a new lam environment
> getting out of control of sge.
>
> I contacted with Nastran and they told that was a LAM/MPI or SGE problem.

No, IMO it's not. When they start a new LAM/MPI environment, they are
violating the granted slot allocation. What about the following (although it
would be more a discussion on the [GE suers] list:

- Suppose you have a tight LAM/MPI integration for other MPI programs.
- In your jobscript, change the $PATH, so that the found "lamboot" points to
e.g. /bin/true - i.e. doing nothing.
- When they then call "mpirun C", they should get the already started LAM
daemons.
- If mpiexec is not working, maybe the found mpiexec must also point to a
script to supply the proper "-np ..." values.
- When they call "mpiexec" in one-shot-mode, it must also be mapped to a
script to execute just the program, but not to do a "lamboot".

    [ Part 2, Text/PLAIN (Name: "ref-1.T8677_13") ~10 KB. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]

    [ Part 3, Text/PLAIN (Name: "ref-1.T8677_13.cmdfile") ~369 bytes. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]

    [ Part 4, Text/PLAIN (Name: "ref-1.T8677_13.hostfile") ~27 bytes. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]

    [ Part 5, Text/PLAIN (Name: "ref-1.T8677_13.rc") ~394 bytes. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]

    [ Part 6: "Attached Text" ]