[GE users] looking for feedback: deprecating some parameters/switches

Orlando Richards orlando.richards at ed.ac.uk
Wed Oct 22 12:22:14 BST 2008

Hi Roland,

See my recent posts to the list on "CPU time = Wallclock time?" for
comments on the RESERVED_USAGE parameters, which are important to us,
but also seem to me to be a bit broken in 6.1u4 at the moment.

--
Orlando.

Roland Dittel wrote:
> Hi Grid Engine Users and Admins,
>
> in a future release of Grid Engine we plan to remove some configuration
> parameters as well as some CLI switches where we think are no longer
> used or obsolete. The plan is to mark these switches in 6.2 as
> deprecated and remove them in a later release (not 6.2uX) of Grid Engine.
>
> To not deprecate used and needed functionality I ask you for feedback if
> you use or depend on one of the following parameters.
>
> The parameters planned to obsolete are:
>
> host_conf(5)
> - processors
>   obsolete, same as num_proc from the complex list
>
> sched_conf(5)
> - algorithm
>   just default is allowed, no additional algorithms are planed
> - params JC_FILTER
>   huge performance impact plus may lead to wrong scheduling decisions
>
> sge_conf(5)
> - reprioritize
>   redundant because hard bound to reprioritize_interval in sched_conf(5)
> - shell_start_mode
>   obsolete, value from queue_conf(5) is used
> - set_token_cmd
>   no known AFS support
> - pag_cmd
>   no known AFS support
> - token_extend_time
>   no known AFS support
> - qmaster_params DISABLE_AUTO_RESCHEDULING
>   equivalent to default reschedule_unknown=0:0:0
> - qmaster_params merge ACCT_RESERVED_USAGE and SHARETREE_RESERVED_USAGE
>   We can't imaging a use case to have these values separated
> - finished_jobs
>   qstat -j does not work with successful finished jobs. Code seems
>   to work only with jobs going into error state.
>
> user(5)
> - delete_time
>   change to internal, not changeable/visible field
>   Implicit set by auto_user_delete_time
>
> qconf(1)
> - sep option
>   obsolete, same as num_proc
> - ks option
>   obsolete, same as -kt scheduler
>
> qmod(1)
> - c option
>   depreciated, use -cj or -cq
> - r option
>   depreciated, use -rj or -rq
> - s option
>   depreciated, use -sj or -sq
> - us option
>   depreciated, use -usj or -usq
>

> Thanks in advance and best regards
> Roland

    Dr Orlando Richards
   Information Services
IT Infrastructure Division
        Unix Section
     Tel: 0131 650 4994

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.