[GE users] CPU time = Wallclock time?

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Oct 22 19:01:45 BST 2008

Hi,

Am 22.10.2008 um 12:53 schrieb Orlando Richards:

> We seem to have a problem with CPU time always being accounted as
> equal to Wallclock time (or sometimes 1s higher) - even if the job
> is just a "sleep 20s" job. The UTIME and STIME report correctly
> though.
>
> We're running SGE 6.1u4.
>
> We have
> execd_params                 SHARETREE_RESERVED_USAGE=TRUE \
>                              ACCT_RESERVED_USAGE=FALSE
>
> so would expect the CPU time to be recorded as roughly UTIME +
> STIME - but this is not the case.
>
> I tried setting SHARETREE_RESERVED_USAGE to FALSE as well, to see
> if it made any difference, and suddenly we get the expected
> behaviour (CPU time = 0, wallclock = 20).
>
> Does anyone know if this is expected behaviour?

something is really broken (I check in 6.2). They seem to operate in
they way, that SHARETREE_RESERVED_USAGE refers to the accounting
file. Whether ACCT_RESERVED_USAGE operates the same way for the
sharetree I didn't check.

Changing SHARETREE_RESERVED_USAGE between TRUE and FALSE shows
constantly a changed behvaior for the accounting record. This even
works for parallel jobs then as expected.

> Is there anything we can do to correct it?

Fixing the source ;-) So an issue should be filed for it.

-- Reuti