[GE users] About how is the connection between the submit_host, qmaster and the execution_host when you send a job

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Oct 23 10:34:29 BST 2008

Hi,

Am 23.10.2008 um 11:21 schrieb Esteban Freire:

> These days we have come a doubt about if the connection between the
> qmaster and the execution_host is secure. We would like to know
> when we send a job how is the connection between the qmaster and
> the execution_host. I mean, It is a secure connection?
> Could a malicious user install a sniffer into the cluster to check
> sge connections in order to see what we are sending in the job?

up to 6.2 or still with classic spooling the job scripts are stored
in plain text in the qmaster $SGE_ROOT/spool/qmaster/job_scripts. On
the execution node in $SGE_ROOT/default/spool/$HOSTNAME/job_scripts/
$JOB_ID the scripts are stored also as plain texts as they have to be
executed.

To encrypt at least the network traffic, you will have to install SGE
with the -csp option.