[GE users] Restricting number of jobs per user in the qw state?

Rayson Ho rayrayson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 20:28:36 BST 2008

On 10/23/08, Andreas.Haas at sun.com <Andreas.Haas at sun.com> wrote:
> > I don't care how many jobs each user has in the "r" state, but I want to
> limit how many they can have in the "qw" state.
>
> I fear we got nothing that can help you with this.

I just went through the source:

When the job is done, qmaster calls suser_decrease_job_counter() to
reduce the per user max_u_jobs counter (SU_jobs). It is this counter
that blocks the user from submitting more jobs when the "max_u_jobs"
parameter is set to a non-zero value.

To do what you want, you can in theory call
suser_decrease_job_counter() at the place where the job gets
dispatched from the qw state. But keep in mind that we may need to
consider that the job may get requeued, restarted, etc... so some more
reading of the code and then some testing will be needed.

If you know how to program in C, you can try to play with it a bit
with a 1 node test cluster. Otherwise, you can open an issue and we
will go back to it if other people also find this feature useful.

Rayson