[GE users] CPUs versus slots

Gerald Ragghianti geri at utk.edu
Mon Oct 27 14:33:37 GMT 2008

Hi users,
I recently brought online a new cluster segment that connects to my
qmaster machine via a second network interface (the machines are on a
different subnet that the "normal" cluster nodes).  I did this by
changing the act_qmaster contents to indicate the ip name that
corresponds to the second qmaster interface.  This seems to be working
(I can run jobs) with the following exception: SGE has only allocated 1
slot per machine on the new cluster segment.

admin at ornl28.ornl              BIP   0/1       0.00     lx24-amd64
admin at ornl29.ornl              BIP   0/1       0.00     lx24-amd64
admin at ornl30.ornl              BIP   0/1       0.00     lx24-amd64

Even though the machines have more than one processor and SGE indicates
this:

ornl28                  lx24-amd64      2  0.00    3.9G   61.6M
960.0M     0.0
ornl29                  lx24-amd64      4  0.00    7.8G  123.2M
960.0M     0.0
ornl30                  lx24-amd64      4  0.00    7.8G  128.0M
960.0M     0.0

I have installed the machines using the same automated system that
installs the other machines on the first cluster segment (with the
exception of changing the act_qmaster file).  What could be the problem
here?  Is there a better way to configure this cluster segment that
needs to access the qmaster machine via a different interface?

--
Gerald Ragghianti
IT Administrator - High Performance Computing
E-mail: geri at utk.edu