[GE users] "commlib error: access denied" with 6.2 install_execd

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Oct 28 23:41:26 GMT 2008

Am 29.10.2008 um 00:27 schrieb Harry Mangalam:

> On Tuesday 28 October 2008, Reuti wrote:
>> it's good to know, that it was helpful :-)
>>
>> There are two points:
>>
>> a) What is in /etc/nsswitch on the nodes? Is "nis" mentioned there
>>   for the host entry? Is /etc/yp.conf using an address or a name?
>
> There's no such file (/etc/nsswitch) on the exe nodes

I meant /etc/nsswitch.conf of course.

> In  /etc/yp.conf on the exe nodes, there is one uncommented line:
>
> domain YP.bduc.uci.edu server bduc-sched.nacs.uci.edu

With this it should be sufficient to have the external name defined
on the nodes. But I would run the NIS only on the internal interface
on the scheduler and put the internal name also in /etc/yp.conf.

I have only the internal name of the NIS-server hard-coded in /etc/
hosts. Even with NIS in place, the nodes don't know anything about
the external world, but only the internal login-node and other nodes'
addresses.

You can check the tables with e.g. "ypcat hosts".

-- Reuti