[GE users] Preventing (almost) all new jobs.

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Thu Oct 30 09:53:50 GMT 2008

I have the following situation:

For testing purposes, I need complete access to the cluster, in
particular to some licenses.

One possibility would be to use qmod to disable and drain the queues.
I would presumably place a system hold on all the queued jobs, to
prevent them from executing when I re-enable the queues. Any jobs that
are submitted, while I need the cluster for testing, could presumably be
placed in hold state by adding an appropriate '-h' option to the global
sge_request. This has the slight problem that the users can simply
release the hold on their jobs - and ruin my testing.
Interestingly enough, it's not possible to place anything other than a
default user hold via the sge_request (GE-6.1u3).

If I go the more radical way and black-list entire Unix groups (while
permitting my own user), all of the submitted jobs are rejected
immediately.  This would be the less desirable solution.

How have others coped with this issue?

/mark
message from your computer.