[GE users] Preventing (almost) all new jobs.

Richard Ems Richard.Ems at cape-horn-eng.com
Thu Oct 30 10:33:42 GMT 2008

Olesen, Mark wrote:
> I have the following situation:
>
> For testing purposes, I need complete access to the cluster, in
> particular to some licenses.
>
> One possibility would be to use qmod to disable and drain the queues.
> I would presumably place a system hold on all the queued jobs, to
> prevent them from executing when I re-enable the queues. Any jobs that
> are submitted, while I need the cluster for testing, could presumably be
> placed in hold state by adding an appropriate '-h' option to the global
> sge_request. This has the slight problem that the users can simply
> release the hold on their jobs - and ruin my testing.
> Interestingly enough, it's not possible to place anything other than a
> default user hold via the sge_request (GE-6.1u3).
>
> If I go the more radical way and black-list entire Unix groups (while
> permitting my own user), all of the submitted jobs are rejected
> immediately.  This would be the less desirable solution.
>
> How have others coped with this issue?

What about setting user_lists to something like "my_user_list" on all
queues? This way jobs from other users would be accepted, but none
scheduled.

for q in `qconf -sql` ; do qconf -rattr queue user_lists my_user_list ; done

The only problem I see on this approach would be if you have user_lists
set to different user lists ... then you would have to save this
information first to reset it afterwards ... but this could be easily
done in a couple of commands.

Richard

--
Richard Ems       mail: Richard.Ems at Cape-Horn-Eng.com

Cape Horn Engineering S.L.
C/ Dr. J.J. Dómine 1, 5? piso
46011 Valencia
Tel : +34 96 3242923 / Fax 924