[GE users] Preventing (almost) all new jobs.

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Oct 30 11:47:39 GMT 2008

Hi Mark,

Am 30.10.2008 um 10:53 schrieb Olesen, Mark:

> I have the following situation:
>
> For testing purposes, I need complete access to the cluster, in
> particular to some licenses.
>
> One possibility would be to use qmod to disable and drain the queues.
> I would presumably place a system hold on all the queued jobs, to
> prevent them from executing when I re-enable the queues. Any jobs that
> are submitted, while I need the cluster for testing, could
> presumably be
> placed in hold state by adding an appropriate '-h' option to the
> global
> sge_request. This has the slight problem that the users can simply
> release the hold on their jobs - and ruin my testing.
> Interestingly enough, it's not possible to place anything other than a
> default user hold via the sge_request (GE-6.1u3).

users can only place user holds.

> If I go the more radical way and black-list entire Unix groups (while
> permitting my own user), all of the submitted jobs are rejected
> immediately.  This would be the less desirable solution.
>
> How have others coped with this issue?

We are using a special project to disalloaw access to certain queus
from time to time, you can call it "testing" or whatever. But this
means also to change the queue defintion like Richard suggested for
the user_lists entry.

Why not just disable all queues (as you suggested already) and create
a new one for testing, which only you can use as you are the only one
in its user_lists.

-- Reuti