[GE users] sending jobs

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Thu Oct 30 14:29:29 GMT 2008

The attached graphic is via Dan Templeton and should not be reused
without credit.

Here is the step by step:

1. Job submitted from submit host or via DRMAA API

2. User identity, cwd, environment preserved

3. Master host receives job request, places entry in database and
notifies the scheduler

4. Scheduler attempts to dispatch job to best possible queue instance.
If successful, queue instance is returned to the qmaster daemon

5. Qmaster sends job to the proper sge_execd

7. sge_execd spawns a sge_shepherd process; suid() pivot occur, prolog
and job starters run if needed

8. Shepherd sets up job, including paths, cwd  and environment
variables recorded at submission time. The shepherd starts the job,
monitors resource usage data and exit status. Shepherd also performs
post-job cleanup tasks.

9. Exit status & accounting data passed back to sge_execd and
sge_qmaster

More resources on http://wikis.sun.com (search for Grid Engine)

-Chris

    [ Part 2, Image/PNG (Name: "sge-process-1.png") 39 KB. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]

    [ Part 3: "Attached Text" ]

On Oct 30, 2008, at 9:34 AM, Rafid Al-Khannak wrote:

> Dear Reuti and All,
>
> Thanks for your answer but actually the problem is not with the type
> of the language but with the mechanizm of the script itself
> (mechanizm of sending job) that's why I'm asking for a flow chart.
>
> regards,
> rafid
>
> 2008/10/30 Reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de>
> Hi,
>
> Am 30.10.2008 um 10:02 schrieb Rafid Al-Khannak:
>

> There are many scripts in many languages for sending jobs, and so to
> capture the idea of this process (sending job) I need the flow
> charts for sending batch, parallel, array and interactive jobs, any
> advice?
>
> this shouldn't be any problem. Just specify "shell_start_mode
> unix_behavior" in your queue setup (man queue_conf). Then any script
> language should work right away.
>
> -- Reuti

    [ Part 4: "Attached Text" ]