[GE users] No scheduler registered at qmaster

Sofia Bassil sofia.bassil at fra.se
Fri Oct 31 13:11:04 GMT 2008

Reuti skrev:
> Am 27.10.2008 um 16:03 schrieb Sofia Bassil:
>
>> Reuti skrev:
>>> Am 23.10.2008 um 16:50 schrieb Sofia Bassil:
>>> <snip>

>>> How many tasks are waiting? There is a setting in the scheduler
>>> configuration "max_pending_tasks_per_job" for the maximum number of
>>> tasks of an array job which will be scheduled at once. Another entry
>>> "max_aj_instances" in SGE's configrations controls the amount of
>>> running tasks of an array job.
>>>
>>> -- Reuti
>> I removed the pending tasks to get the non-array jobs waiting
>> running, so I don't really know. Max aj_instances I changed to 0 for
>> no limit. The only error output I found from qstat -j when I first
>> started troubleshooting was that max_aj_instances was set too low.
>> That's why I removed the limit entirely, assuming the cluster would
>> show if it got overloaded, but it seems to handle it so far, at least
>> load-wise on the machines. Max_pending_tasks_per_job was set to 50,
>> but I just increased it to 75. How can I see the effect of
>> max_pending_tasks_per_job in qstat output?
>
> Usually you can't see it directly. Only that array tasks get a maximum
> of 50 tasks scheduled at once. You can try "qstat -g d" to make each
> task having a line on it's own, or using the "status" script below
> with the option "status -acl" to see the bunches of jobs scheduled.
> Means the waiting ones should be decreased by 75 every schedule interval:
>
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/files/documents/7/8/status-1.2.tgz
>
> -- Reuti
Hello again,

We have done some further testing in this issue, more controlled this
time. What the user does is submitting an array job with 75000 tasks. I
have read somewhere that this is the default setting for max_aj_tasks,
if so you would think that the scheduler should be able to handle it.
However, sge_schedd dies within minutes after the job has been
submitted. If restarted it works for a while, even though its not
responding to requests such av qstat and qconf, but eventually it dies
again. Is 75000 the default setting in GE 6.1u4? Has anyone sucessfully
been able to run an array job with 75000 tasks in GE 6.1u4?

//Sofia